OED is part of the Division of Diversity and Engagement. The department fulfills an important compliance function by working with various legal mandates set out by state and federal law and university policies related to civil rights, equal employment, and affirmative action. OED also provides leadership and services that promote the institution’s mission of creating and sustaining a learning environment that is welcoming to all and hostile to none.
The Office of Equity and Diversity
- Serves the main Knoxville campus, Institute of Agriculture, UT Space Institute, UT Athletics, University-wide Administration, and Institute for Public Service.
- Investigates complaints of discrimination filed on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, and parental status.
- Monitors and provides training and/or direction on searches for faculty, administrative, and staff positions in the Knoxville Area Units.
- Serves as ex-officio member of campus commissions (UT Knoxville Council for Diversity and Inclusion, Commission for Women, Commission for Blacks, Commission for LGBT, Commission for Disabilities, and Exempt Staff Council) and related committees (Stop Bias and Veteran Student Services) that provide services to the various diverse segments of our campus workforce and student body.
- Provides workshops and training for faculty, staff, and students on issues related to diversity in teaching and learning.
- Serves as the campus Title VI and ADA Coordinators for the Knoxville Area Units.